Sporting Kansas City History
The Sporting Kansas City is one of the more unique professional sports team names in the world. First off, the nickname of the team come before the name of the city, which is different from the vast majority of teams, they are also one of the few teams that do not have an object as their nickname. However, the unique name is still relatively new, Kansas City has been part of the MLS since the leagues inception and came into the league in 1996 known as the Kansas City Wiz, before changing it to Wizards the following season. The team however did not start selling Sporting Kansas City tickets until 2011 when the team underwent their most recent name change to Sporting.
Sporting had a rough first few years in the league as they finished in last place in the Western Conference in both 1998 and 1999, which included an embarrassing 24 losses in 99’. After the disastrous 1999 season, Sporting fired their head coach and hired Bob Gansler in an attempt to turn around the franchise and sell more Sporting Kansas City tickets. Both were accomplished the following year as they sold 1,000 more Sporting Kansas City tickets per game and finished the season by winning both the MLS Cup and the Supporters’ Cup.
After the team’s successful 2000 season they suffered two years of last place finishes and minimal Sporting Kansas City tickets sold before returning to glory in 2004 as they captured their third MLS trophy with a U.S. Open Cup win, marking their last trophy win as of 2011.
Kansas City Stadium and the Fans
Sporting Kansas City tickets are sold at their home stadium Livestrong Sporting Park, the first and only stadium located in the state of Kansas to be home to a professional sports team. The Sporting franchise began with Arrowhead Stadium located in Missouri as their home field from 1996-2007, which they shared with the NFL Kansas City Chiefs. After their official move out of Arrowhead, the team played two seasons in a minor league baseball park before getting their own soccer-specific stadium in Livestrong Sporting Park.
During the teams long stint at Arrowhead Stadium, attendance was always low and even dropped below 10,000 Sporting Kansas City tickets sold per home game six times during their 12 season’s at Arrowhead. This could be attributed to lack of performance, but considering one of those six years under 10,000 Sporting Kansas City tickets sold per game was the year the team won the MLS Cup and Supporters’ Shield, which seems to put much of the blame on either the local fans or the stadium.
The soccer-specific stadium at Livestrong, which opened in 2011, sparked a renewed fan interest in the team as Sporting Kansas City tickets sold rose all the way up to 17,810 per home game, a franchise record for one season. With the new stadium opening in 2011, the franchise also changed their name to represent a more European style of branding by officially changing the teams name to Sporting KC. Kansas City followed the leads of MLS clubs to do so as Toronto FC, D.C. United, and Real Salt Lake took similar steps just years earlier.
Buy Sporting Kansas City tickets on tiqIQ.com
- All of your Sporting Kansas City tickets right here on the one site for the best prices on the market!
- TiqIQ brings all the ticketing information you need together so you can determine the best way to purchase your tickets.
- Choose from our complete list of Sporting Kansas City games for the entire season and then choose your preferred method of purchase. It’s so easy!
- Purchase your Sporting Kansas City tickets for a fixed price from your favorite ticket seller,
Bid for your tickets through eBay auctions and if you are the highest bidder the tickets are yours, or
Make your own offer with some of our ticketing partners and if your offer is accepted you have just set your own price for your seats! How amazing is that!
- Not only do we offer you a range of purchasing options for your Sporting Kansas City tickets, we also make your buying experience as transparent as possible by showing you everything that you are paying for.
- Our All-in price estimate shows you seller fees upfront and shipping costs
- Our 3D seating preview shows how the game will look from your section.
- Our zone statistics will help you determine the best time to buy your Sporting Kansas City tickets through evaluating deals for every area of a specific venue.
- You can also take advantage of our e-ticket filters and gold IQ seal which can see you saving up to 50% on your tickets compared to the average market price.
- All of our services are offered to you at no extra cost or hidden fees.
Sporting Kansas City News
10-20-14: Sporting Kansas City has taken third-place honors in the Eastern Conference as its season winds down. With just two regular season games remaining, the team controls a 14-12-7 record with 49 points on the season, currently tied with fourth-place Columbus Crew in that category. Sporting Kansas City will play Saprissa in the CONCACAF Champions League Group Stage on Thursday before ending the regular season against the New York Red Bulls at home on Sunday.
12-3-13: Two Sporting KC players, Matt Besler and Graham Zusi, were named as members of the MLS Best XI team.
11-30-13: Sporting Kansas City will take on Real Salt Lake in the 18th edition of the MLS Cup final. The game will be played in KC's home at Sporting Park on Saturday, December 7.
11-29-13: After finishing the regular season with the 2nd best record in the Eastern Conference, Sporting KC has made it to the MLS Cup Final.
To get there, they first took on the 3rd seed in the East, the New England Revolution, defeating them 4-3 in aggregate score. They then took on the 4th seeded Houston Dynamo and beat them 2-1 in aggregate.